I’m getting some pressure from folks to know a little bit about what’s going to be in the next book in the “Man of War” Series, Brothers in Valor. Be assured that I’m not going to give away anything in the way of a spoiler, but I can tell you a few things that might whet your appetite and maybe get you looking back at the old books for clues. All of this, you understand, is provisional. I may change it. The editors may change it. You know how that goes.
1. Like the second book, this book opens with Max and the Cumberland badly outnumbered and outgunned, cut off from help, and facing certain destruction at the hands of superior forces. This situation, though, is far more dire and far more complex than the one that opened For Honor We Stand. You will see Max come up with some tactics and maneuvers that are creative and a bit crazy, even for him. It’s a fun, highly involved opening, and I think fans will enjoy it.
2. There is at least one boarding action–you will get to see Major Kraft and his Marines in action. “Zamora and Ulmer, take point. Ooorah!!”
3. Max will come up against a Krag Commander whose tactical skills pose a worthy challenge and a serious threat.
4. At least one chapter is told from the Krag point of view.
5. For the first time, readers will meet Fleet Admiral Charles L. Middleton. It has not been decided whether you will also get to meet Grand Admiral Litvinoff.
6. There will be appearances by the Vaaach and the Pfelung and, most likely, also an introduction to the Tri-Nin, a highly advanced matriarchal species with three genders and who reproduce in a way I think you will all find both interesting and biologically plausible.
Well, that’s about all I can give away without giving something away. In all likelihood, I’ll post an advance chapter here at some time before too long–maybe in about six weeks. So, watch this space for updates.